" Don't confuse fame with success. Tamer Hosny is one; Al Waleed Talal is the other ".

Jordan is freezing

February 28, 2010

I have been travelling in Jordan for almost 2 weeks now. Freezing, expensive, clean are the right words to express my thought about Jordan, which is a country in Western Asia spanning the southern part of the Syrian Desert down to the Gulf of Aqaba. Since past 2 weeks, I have been staying at my friend’s house in Mu’tah. He’s the one who manages our travel schedules with the cheapest way to spend a month’s excursion.

Mu'tah view

I love travelling. It really opens my eyes deeply to see the colors of different culture. You're always more open to meeting new people when you travel. I have met lots of great people, Malaysian students from Mu’tah, they are friendly, easy out going and tender. They are definitely different and opposite from what I had heard before I came here and met them. So don’t trust what people say until you get a chance to know them personally.

I also met a few of Egyptians who are working here; amazingly I got a very warm welcome when they knew I‘m from Egypt. We had a great time, chit chatting and joking around together by using Egyptian Colloquial Arabic (Lahjah Ammiya) while some of them kinda confused to change the intonation’s flow like they used to talk, since they have been staying here for long time so their slang more into Urdun Slang. However, we didn’t have any communication breaks down nor were isolated. Just felt like home.

“How long will you stay here?” asked Samir

“One month perhaps”

“No! Stay longer…5 months!”

“lol”

Obviously I’m not Arabian, let alone Egyptian, but Language connects us to their culture. They not only gave me a warm welcome, but also a special price and free stuff. Don’t you feel overwhelmed?

What makes Jordan a little different from Egypt and Saudi is that its currency. It’s pretty expensive! You can only get 71 JOD by converting your 100 USD while in Egypt, you can get close to 560 L.E Thus, I’m being quite meticulous to survive and stay longer as I can, seeing almost everything here is rather expensive such food, snack, meals and medicine stuff. “Buy only important things and ditch others”

Amman

Now, Jordan is freaking cold, wet, muddy and raining non stop for 2 days. It’s tremendous rain! I couldn’t sleep much, my body shivered and we are going nowhere until the rain stops, indeed. The good thing is I could spend this time updating my ugly blog after 2 months away from blogging, and this would be my first entry for 2010. At least it's a good thing, right?! *grin*

Anyway, I'm still looking for chance to go to Abdali Friday Bundle Market in Amman. It offers you all kinds of essential items at extremely low prices. Insyaállah, next Friday!
blog comments powered by Disqus